Don’t leave the success of your Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) to chance! Now is the perfect time of year to check in with them.
Why Check In?
There are many reasons to check in with the JHSC regularly, such as:
- Ensuring all members are actively engaging in JHSC activities and duties
- Confirming that there are enough members to undertake all responsibilities in the allotted time
- Checking that everyone’s JHSC Certification is up-to-date and that no one is due for Refresher training
- Ensuring that the organization remains compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act’s requirements for training, number of certified members, and composition
- Addressing any questions and providing clarity if needed
- Making sure that the status quo is working
Checking in on Engagement and Workload
You can check in on your JHSC by simply asking, “How’s it going?” You may be surprised how much information this simple question yields. Responses to this question will give you an idea of how engaged members are, and if they’re struggling to complete duties in the time given. When listening to responses, note any pain points that members identify, and resolve to come up with a solution together. You can also get a sense of engagement by observing body language and tone. JHSC members that seem tired, unenthused, or frustrated may be struggling to stay engaged.
Learn how to create an effective JHSC!
Checking in on Training and Compliance
Training is essential to the JHSC’s success because a trained JHSC is both engaged and knowledgeable. Certification is also mandatory in Ontario. Section 9(12) of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (the Act) states that “a constructor or employer shall ensure that at least one member of the committee representing the constructor or employer and at least one member representing workers are certified members.” JHSC training is necessary because it keeps your company compliant with the law.
There are a few questions you’ll want to answer during this check-in, including:
- How many JHSC members are there? Not sure how many you need? Learn more about JHSC Composition
- How many JHSC workers and management members are certified?
- Were any members trained before March 2016? If so, they’re likely exempt from having to take Refresher training
- Are any members who were certified after March 2016 due for Refresher training this year? Book seats in advance to avoid disappointment!
These questions will help you determine whether you need to take some actions to keep compliant and up to date. If you’re in compliance, this may be a good time to consider training all your JHSC members. JHSC members who complete certification training develop a solid understanding of the basic foundations of workplace safety. They function more efficiently than those who never received proper training. It’s recommended that all JHSC members receive training – not just the minimum number required under the Act.
Checking in to Provide Clarity and Guidance
Checking in on compliance and training is an important part of due diligence; however, don’t be tempted to only check these items and then consider your check-in complete. The JHSC performs a vital task in the workplace, and their work keeps people safe. Take the time to check in with members to see if they have questions or need clarity. This is a great time for you to answer any questions and provide updates and direction to the JHSC as well so that you’re all on the same page. In addition to clarity and questions, use this time to make sure that what you’ve been doing is working, particularly the process of how the JHSC makes recommendations and how the employer responds. If it needs some tweaks so that it’s more effective, discuss how to streamline the process together.
BEST Safety Training is Here to Help
Download this FREE JHSC Check In Calendar
courtesy of BEST Safety Training and Consulting
Best Safety Training is a Chief Prevention Officer (CPO)-approved provider of JHSC training. Let the Best Safety Training company take care of your training needs. BEST Safety Training cares about your safety and comfort. That’s why we’re offering the same dynamic JHSC training in our virtual classroom.
Check Out Our Upcoming Distance Learning Dates!
To learn more, contact us. Or call 226.777.7385 or visit us 24/7 on the web at bestsafetytraining.ca.