Includes FREE Downloadable Calendar!
Your workplace safety program will not run itself. Now is the time to plan for a safe 2022.
- Round up the JHSC – they’re going to be key contributors when it comes to making the plan and putting it into action.
- Work together to set this year’s safety goals and objectives, then create a plan to meet them.
- Review your training program and identify gaps and needs, then set deadlines for completion.
- Consider new safety initiatives and how and when they’ll be implemented.
- Take a survey to get a pulse on where to focus.
- Review last year’s data – What went well? What needs development?
- Determine one key focus and make it your safety theme for the year.
When you plan for safety for the year, you create accountability to yourself, your employees, and your stakeholders that you are committed to the continuous improvement of the workplace safety program. This is also a great way to approach safety proactively.
Where Do I Start?
Don’t get too into the details just yet. Start by reflecting. Maybe that’s something you do alone, or perhaps you bring a few key players together, such as the JHSC.
Start here: What safety goals do hope to achieve this year? What do I need to do to get there?
Use this as a foundation for your vision.
Don’t get too carried away with this year’s plan until you review last year’s data. Look at the following:
- Accident/Incident Reports: Ask yourself if there were any trends. If so, could training help? Are there any other reasons?
- Hazard Reports and Assessments: What are they telling you?
- Employee Training Records: Who is overdue for training? What mandatory training do you need to do this year? Is your training program effective?
- Current Health and Safety Program: It’s crucial to review the workplace safety program at least annually to ensure its continued effectiveness. How does it support the other data?
- JHSC Minutes, Meeting Notes, and Recommendations: What’s the theme? What keeps coming up? Lean on the JHSC – They’re going to be instrumental in completing a lot of the work need to achieve safety goals.
Survey the People
No one has a better pulse on safety from the ground up than the workers. Don’t neglect this valuable source of free information. Send a survey at the start of the year to get a better understanding of what workers felt worked and didn’t work last year, and what they want to see this year. This is a great way to stay in touch with what’s happening in real-time. Many times, you’ll gain insights that would have been unavailable otherwise. These can help you build a safety plan that truly addresses worker needs. Don’t forget to ask the JHSC what workers are saying around the water cooler and in the lunchroom, too.
Time to Map
With your vision in place, and armed with data, you’re ready to create a roadmap for a safe 2022.
Start plugging in actions, initiatives, and training that are needed to address safety needs within the organization. Ensure that all your plans will contribute to the achievement of your overall vision. Don’t forget health, wellness, and mental health initiatives and strategies!
As you start to map your initiatives and deadlines, don’t forget to map out what you need to do along the way. Think not just of where you want to end up, but the route you’ll take to get there.
Your Accountability Team
Putting a plan in place for a safe 2022 is only effective if you’re accountable for what the plan contains. Don’t go it alone. Get your support team involved. Maybe it includes your leader, colleagues, your in-house safety team, or external safety experts such as BEST Safety Training. It should also include the JHSC. Share the plan and commit to working together to achieve goals. When a target is missed, own it, and take accountability. Make it a learning opportunity and discover what prevented your organization from reaching that objective. Then resolve to do better.
Not Sure Where to Start? BEST Safety Training Can Help
Download this FREE Safety Planning Calendar, courtesy of BEST Safety Training and Consulting.
Like the calendar? Add your email to our mailing list to get one FREE, straight to your inbox, every month. Each month features a new topic, all designed to keep your workplace safe, healthy, and compliant.
See all onsite and virtual learning coming soon to your area!
To ask questions about our training programs or to book a consultation to help you develop a safety plan for 2022 contact us online or call 226.777.7385. Visit us 24/7 on the web at bestsafetytraining.ca.