Although stilts were banned for over 40 years in Ontario, in 2009 the legislation allowed for stilts to be brought back into use on construction sites. BEST Safety Training has developed a training program aimed at reducing hazards associated with stilt use, and at ensuring that stilt users have the required documentation to prove their training as required by O. Reg. 213 Construction Projects Section 116 sub section 10.
By the end of the program students will understand:
- Explain the legislative rules governing stilts
- Identify safety requirements when setting up to use stilts
- Identify hazards in and around the workplace
- Identify precautions, protective measures, and the types of guard rail systems required when operating stilts
- Explain proper inspection of stilts
- Explain limitations of stilts and maximum heights allowed in Ontario
- Demonstrate how to put on secure and operate stilts
- Demonstrate how to take off stilts and store them appropriately
Workers working on stilts in residential construction work, supervisors lead hands and Managers of construction sites using stilts.