Summertime is just slower – likely a result of its association with thoughts of vacations, long days lying on the beach, and the sluggishness that accompanies the hazy hot days. But summer isn’t just for sunshine, swimming, and sweat – it’s also for safety admin!
With your workers off on vacation throughout the summer, it may not occur to you to conduct training or training admin. However, there are many benefits to looking after safety training admin and completing health and safety training in the summer!
Maximize Shut Down Time with Training!
Summer shutdowns are common and an excellent time to get employee training completed & up to date! Why now?
- Production is already stopped, so there are no further disruptions to service
- Provides workers with an opportunity to recoup some of the wages they may lose during a shutdown
- Keeps employees productive without having to complete physically demanding or potentially unsafe work in a hot environment
- Training during a shutdown period increases workers’ willingness to focus on training because they don’t have to worry about how their absence is affecting the production line
- The machines aren’t in use, so they’re willing and waiting to become part of the hands-on training experience!
- Online training can be assigned and completed by workers when it works for them and around their very important and beneficial vacation time
Organize While it’s Slow
Organizing training records, updating training completion charts, and cleaning up the LMS – what do they have they have in common? Well, they aren’t exactly fun, but they’re extremely necessary to the success of your health and safety training program. We also know that completing these finicky admin tasks when the sun is shining is even more challenging. However, there’s no time like summer to get these admin tasks checked off and out of the way. It’s quieter, there are fewer people around, and if you get done early, you might be able to sneak out early to catch some rays on a Friday! Or grab your laptop, find a picnic table in the shade, and enjoy the warmth while you power through your task list. Not sure where to start?
- Check your training compliance records – is anyone overdue for mandatory training?
- Are all of your trackers and checklists complete and up to date?
- Are there any employees in the LMS who have left the company you can remove?
- Check the LMS for outdated courses just sitting in learner profiles and remove them
- Pull reports and use them to get workers to complete outstanding training
- While you’re at it, don’t forget to refresh your health and safety board!
When you’ve updated all of your training records and cleaned up the LMS, consider one last task: reflect on what you could do to make health and safety admin a little easier. Is there a reporting function that’s being underused? A records tab that you haven’t explored? Spend some time digging around a little to see how you can save time on this task next summer.
Looking Ahead: Autumn
Summer is the perfect time to look ahead and plan for fall training. With your LMS and records all updated, you should have a clear picture of where the gaps are in your workplace health and safety training program. Dedicate some time to identifying your training needs and planning to ensure that your organization remains compliant, safe, and healthy. If you’re not sure what you need, that’s where we come in. BEST Safety Training can help you identify the gaps and training needs in your current health and safety training program. We can also provide training – we’ll come to you, or you can log in from anywhere with distance training offerings.
We also have an extensive catalogue of online training courses that includes competitive pricing, and a user-friendly training platform. BEST Safety Training’s online training is an effective, efficient, and cost-effective training solution. Courses can be purchased online and accessed from smartphones, tablets, laptops, or desktop computers.
Get Compliant this Summer
September through to the new year often represents a busy period. Trying to squeeze in training and training admin tasks when demand is high is challenging to say the least, and it can impact production and revenue. Completing training, admin tasks, and planning during summer ensures that all employees remain compliant.
COMING SOON! Standard First Aid & CPR Level C
When: July 25th & 26th, 2022
Where: St. Thomas, Ontario in the BEST Safety Training Classroom
Looking for something else this summer? Check out the Training Calendar. We have lots of great offerings coming up! See Training in My Area
Not Sure Where to Start? Best Safety Training Can Help
Download this FREE Summer Safety Admin Calendar,
courtesy of BEST Safety Training and Consulting
Like the calendar? Add your email to our mailing list to get one FREE, straight to your inbox, every month. Each month features a new topic, all designed to keep your workplace safe, healthy, and compliant.